Friday, June 30, 2006

Is it a bird?



There have been up to four Hummingbird Hawk-moths hanging around the flowerbeds at The Lodge recently. Mostly, they seem to like nectaring on Red Valerian, but today I found one buzzing about the Verbena bonariensis in a different part of the gardens.

There was good light so I had a go at taking some photos, which I'm quite pleased with. The only other shots I have of the species were taken in Spain last May.

I'll definitely be trying again to get some better images, as I just can't resist watching the Hummers darting around.

They're quite fascinating - it's easy to see why people in the UK think they've seen a real hummingbird!



This bright green, yellow and red spider was pretty interesting, too. I don't know what species it is, but I know a man who will. Watch this space.

photos taken with Nikon Coolpix 995

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those hummingbird hawk-moth photos are great, I saw them in Spain a few years back, and for weeks insisted there had to be a species of hummingbird in the old world... guess I was partially close enough ;)

    ReplyDelete