Monday, June 05, 2006

Bring Your Snake To Work Day

This morning we had the most exciting meeting in the world... ever.


It started as normal but descended into chaos when this five-inch long Grass Snake (Natrix natrix) made its appearance under our meeting table. Lucinda said 'What's that?!'. I looked down to see a small, dark, elongated something slithering its way under my chair.

My initial reaction was to go 'Gahhh!' but I think it's only human to do that - a meeting in the office is not where you expect to see a small snake. I recovered my normal composure and managed to ID it before it disappeared under the partition and out of sight.

After it was refound a couple of minutes later, the whole department went snake-crazy and gathered round to coo over the cute little fella.



We then released back where it had come from - the gardens outside.

A few weeks ago, the Guardian Newsblog had a post about the wildlife seen from people's offices, but I don't think they extended that to wildlife that made its way inside offices. Shame...

photos taken with Nikon Coolpix 995

No comments:

Post a Comment