Thursday, June 15, 2006

Emperor





Female Emperor, egg-laying

What a girl!

I'm more fascinated by dragonflies than ever, and the old swimming pool at The Lodge is a great place to watch them. Emperor dragonflies are very much in evidence at the moment so, of course, I want to get some photos of them...

But when they either fly around constantly (so fast you can't even follow them with binoculars) or perch on lilypads right in the middle of the pool, it's not very easy.

Today I finally managed to digiscope a female Emperor ovipositing (that's egg-laying to you and me) in the pool. The first photo was taken without the scope as the sun was behind clouds and she was near the edge, but the rest are digiscoped.

digiscoped photos taken with Nikon Coolpix 995 + Leica Apo Televid 77 with 20x eyepiece

1 comment:

  1. Hi: I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed the photo's you have posted and "bogbumper" is one of my first stops each day on the internet. I have shown your pictures to my grandchildren and they love them also.

    Thank you for posting them.
    Dan Knight, NY

    ReplyDelete