Monday, September 20, 2010

Flight fantastic

Southern Hawker in flight

Southern Hawker in flight

Southern Hawker in flight

Southern Hawker in flight

My lawnmowing today was interrupted by the arrival of a male Southern Hawker at the pond. It was quite breezy and he made repeated sorties across the water, trying to keep away a few Common Darters which wanted their place by the pool.

Now I've finally sussed out that autofocus is pretty useless on flying dragons, I had a much higher success rate. Yay!

I like the jaunty angle of the first one, but the slightly more blurred wings of the others.

photos taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

3 comments:

  1. Katie,
    Pretty amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - glad you like them. I was very excited when I realised they were just-about in focus :o)

    ReplyDelete