Thursday, September 23, 2010

Feathered and Frosted

Feathered Thorn
Feathered Thorn

Frosted Orange
Frosted Orange
Another low(er) catch, of 45 moths, but 13 species so a bit better than last time.

One was new for the garden list - Feathered Thorn. I didn't actually find it until the evening, when I went out to photograph some moths which had been in the fridge (it was too dark before work). Very kind of it to wait for me.

I will be quite happy if 8% of my catch every night is made up of Frosted Oranges.

Moth list follows...


  • Setaceous Hebrew Character, 13
  • Lunar Underwing, 10
  • Frosted Orange, 4
  • Large Yellow Underwing, 4
  • Burnished Brass, 3
  • Snout, 3
  • Lesser Yellow Underwing, 2
One each of:
  • Brimstone Moth
  • Common Wainscot
  • Copper Underwing
  • Feathered Thorn
  • Mouse Moth
  • Rosy Rustic
photos taken with Canon Powershot A640

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! As always, capturing every little detail.

    My boys and I would love to get cracking with building a 'Hibination hotel' for all of our bug friends in the garden...any ideas? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sorry for not replying sooner. Glad you like the pics! I've not tried it, but I think you can make somewhere for bugs to hide by tying together some sawn-off bits of bamboo canes, so you end up with something a bit like this? http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/Wildlife/Minibugs_Bug_Box.htm

    ReplyDelete