Sunday, January 31, 2010

The doves from above

Collared Doves

It may seem amazing to you, dear reader, but to see Collared Doves in the garden is a rare treat for me. We're just that bit too far out into the sticks for them to consider our garden suitable habitat. They turn up occasionally but never stay for long.

These ones (well, I assume they're the same ones) have been visiting the garden sporadically for two or three days now, so maybe 2010 will be the year they colonise this remote outpost. It's only 54 years since they first bred in the UK.

I am actually enjoying watching them.

photo taken with Apple iPhone 3GS + Leica Apo Televid 77 with 20x eyepiece

4 comments:

  1. Katie,
    Lovely birds aren't they! I have seen these only once out in the western US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that once they settle in you'll be seeing them daily. FAB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! It'll be interesting to see if they stick around.

    ReplyDelete