Monday, July 20, 2009

Good evening garden

Soldier Beetles mating
Soldier Beetles mating


Ladybird: The Movie

Barn Owl at dusk


The Barn Owl was thrilling. Some Swallow alarm calls alerted me to its presence, hunting over the field at the back of the garden. I watched it floating to and fro - and heard it dive into the grass - before deciding that I really should be outside with my camera.

Next, I watched it from the kitchen and saw it fly along next-door's garden fence. I ran to the front door and opened it as quietly as I could - just in time to watch the owl cross our garden about 10 feet away!

The sun had nearly disappeared over the horizon. Pointlessly, I crept outside, trying not to rustle. Pointless, I suppose, because it could probably hear my stomach digesting my dinner from half a mile away, never mind me trudging over the lawn.

I didn't have to wait long before the Barn Owl flew towards my position in the garden. Closer and closer and closer... It's amazing how they seem not to spot you until you do something like press a button and the camera makes a great big noisy clicking sound... It veered off across the field.


photos and video taken with Canon Powershot A640
owl photo taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

No comments:

Post a Comment