Sunday, June 20, 2004

Macro at Houghton Mill


Gastrophysa viridula?

Went on an insect-hunting expedition to Houghton Mill, near Huntingdon. By the time we got there, it was very overcast and looked likely to rain, which I thought would work against us. But in fact the opposite was true.

Our chief quarry was White-legged Damselfly, Platycnemis pennipes, an uncommon species not present in the PBC area. I know next to nothing about insects so it was a good job that Steve was there to tell me what was what.

Since I bought my second-hand Nikon Coolpix 995 last year, I've become much more interested in insects because the brilliant macro function enables me, an unskilled idiot, to take excellent photos (even if I do say so myself). So please excuse me if I go over the top with my pictures in this post, because I'm delighted with them!












Female (top three) and male Banded Demoiselle, Agrion splendens




Male White-legged Damselfly, Platycnemis pennipes. The white legs are dangled in flight to attract females.




Freshly-emerged ('teneral') Scarce Chaser, Libellula fulva




Male (top) and female Red-eyed Damselfly, Erythromma najas


Blue-tailed Damselfly, Ischnura elegans

What's in my CD player: Grand Slang - City Slang label compilation.

No comments:

Post a Comment