Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Broadside

Been camping in the Norfolk Broads. Had my best ever [UK] views of Swallowtail and Norfolk Hawker, though the pictures of the former are so bad I'm not showing them to you (it was a long way away).

We could have visited lots more broads/fens but it was too hot to do very much. So here's a small selection of photos (more here, if you want them).

Strumpshaw Fen
RSPB Strumpshaw Fen

Norfolk Hawker
Norfolk Hawker

Water soldiers at Upton Broad
Upton Broad, looked after by the Norfolk Wildlife Trust

Variable Damselfly
Variable Damselfly (I think)

Upton Broad
Lush woodland

Blue-tailed Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly

Sunset on the campsite
A tent with a view

The campsite was pretty good for wildife. We pitched our tent next to a dyke. Hairy Dragonflies perched in the Alder trees above it, Blue-tailed Damselflies flitted around the reeds at its edge, and a Water Vole plopped into its waters. Next thing, I heard a loud crunching, as if a person was eating spring onions. I looked down and the vole was a few feet away. That was quite good, and about 10 feet from the tent.

We added Whimbrel, Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Cuckoo, Oystercatcher and Redshank to the 'birds heard from the tent' list.

photos taken with Canon EOS 30D and EF 300mm f/4L IS USM or Canon Powershot A640

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 am

    Hi Katie, Hmm Swallowtails. I have just got back from Tuscany. As an Englishman, can you believe I got bored with taking shots of them as there were so many. {:) Will be posting some images soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment 'some more here if you want them'....well I certainly do and many thanks for the sharing Katie. Keep 'em cumin!

    ReplyDelete