Thursday, March 18, 2010

The white stripes

Just about every other pond in the country is stuffed with frogs at the moment, but not mine. So I went to have a look for newts instead. Yesterday evening, while pulling out sheets of blanket weed, I accidentally scooped up a smart little male Smooth Newt. I admired his bright orange belly before putting him back.

This morning, I saw another Smooth Newt (or maybe the same one) swimming about, and then a white stripe down at the bottom of the pond. I wasn't sure whether it was a root, but when I looked back again it had disappeared. So I'm hoping that was my first Great Crested Newt of the year - the males have silvery-white stripes down their sides. Must be quite useful when you're in a murky pond.

Plenty of beetles and Backswimmers to be seen, too.

4 comments:

  1. My pond is also lacking its frog visitors. A couple were there a few weeks ago when it was still icy at night but they have disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me pine for a pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been seeing Red-spotted Newts for weeks here! Tonight we hear our first of season Pickerel Frog calling a classic call too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Midmarsh John. We don't get any frogs at all in our pond, unfortunately. Newts are great but frogs sound much better

    @Michael Yes, do it if you can! You won't regret it...

    ReplyDelete