Thursday, April 24, 2008

Beds birding again

Graffiti-covered building, Marston Moretaine

Stewartby lake

Bedfordshire birders have been revelling in a superb spring passage over the past couple of weeks. Mark Thomas wrote about his Sunday, April 20. On Monday lunchtime, I twitched a flock of 10 Whimbrel at Broom gravel pits, where on Wednesday lunchtime there were around 70 Arctic Terns swooping gracefully over the water (Ferry Meadows had around 200!). We dropped in at Stewartby to see a Sandwich Tern flying around on its own there, but missed a Red-throated Diver near Leighton Buzzard by a few minutes.

On Thursday, a singing Wood Warbler was found at Marston Vale Country Park. It was too much to resist, so we drove there through the rain after work. As I got out of the car, it was thundering and threatening to throw it down, so I decided to leave my DSLR in the car, for its own sake.

Of course, we got to the bird, it sang and was pretty showy for a leaf-lurker, and the sun came back out. As Messrs Blain and Whitney snapped away, I tried to tell myself that I'd only have been disappointed with the photos I'd have taken. Now I'm going to have to paint it, or something...

photos taken with Canon Powershot A640

No comments:

Post a Comment