Monday, February 02, 2009

Es schneit

View from my window

As usual, now that we've had about two inches of snow, the useless Brits - or, perhaps I should clarify, the English - can't cope. I had to drive to work at a top speed of 30mph, but it was do-able and by the time I went home (earlier than usual) the roads were a bit damp but otherwise fine. Apparently it's the heaviest snowfall in the south-east for 18 years.

Whilst at my desk I couldn't help but stare out of the window at the snowy scene outside, and wonder how the birds were coping. I watched a few Goldcrests pecking and fluttering amongst the pine needles. They seemed to be finding tiny morsels to eat, but it must be tough for them.

A flock of Long-tailed Tits was calling when I went outside to top up the birdfeeder, but today there was no sign of the Nuthatches that have been whistling noisily for the past couple of weeks.

Sound-wise, I heard my first Song Thrush song of the year last week. It was an unlikely setting: I was waiting in the car outside the Co-Op while Rizlas were being purchased inside, and through the fog and the car window I heard the repeated notes from a Song Thrush. I wonder what made him start singing? It was a horrible morning.

photos taken with Canon Powershot A640