Sunday, February 04, 2007

New era

I've been thinking about getting a proper camera for a long time, and I've finally done it. I served my digiscoping apprenticeship and decided it was about time I jumped on the DSLR bandwagon.

These are early days. I haven't got a clue of which settings to use; I just know I need to get close. It's not been hugely successful so far, but it's great fun - feels like the photographic equivalent of go-karting!

Now I just need to find some nice, cooperative birds.

And so, at The Lodge this morning...


Blue Tit. Some nestbox inspection going on


Robin preening

Frosty ivy berries



Dunnock singing

Bramble leaves

Wouldn't be complete without some sunlit leaves, would it?

And from yesterday...

Greylag Geese

Bullfinches munching on ash keys

photos taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x II

5 comments:

  1. the new camera looks like it takes pretty fabulous pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, the photographer takes pretty fabulous pics with the camera!
    Waiting for more to come...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got myself a Nikon D70s just before Xmas and I'm enjoying using it hugely. I'm currently saving up for a 300mm VR lens lens but, more importantly, trying to "educate my eye" and having some success with landscapes and still lifes. I put the stuff I'm most pleased with on flickr.

    I'm keeping the Coolpix 4500 and digiscoping kit for now though.

    I look forward to the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be back out again as soon as I can, but the weather forecast for the next few days is pretty poor!
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=sg19

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie,

    I've been following your blog for some time and hugely enjoy it. I just got a new DSLR myself -- I'm trying to figure out the settings as well. I've gone for Aperture Priority and let it set the shutter speed -- which was a real problem on my old camera.

    My normal photographic "prey" are Red Tail Hawks -- they're very spooky, but now I'm beginning to get some passible pics of them flying away (which is what they do most!).

    Good luck with your new tools!

    Now, if blogger would just display the pics a bit faster (and more consistantly)!

    ReplyDelete