Friday, July 30, 2004

Woodwalton Fen NNR

[Sorry for photo overkill]

WWF is always worth a visit at any time of year. At this time, it's rather quiet on the bird front, but there are plenty of insects around - ideal for a bit of macro photography. Before I got anywhere, the sightings board at the entrance to the reserve made rather... interesting reading.



Like Bedford Purlieus, Woodwalton is another site where I'm never quite sure of where I am. Fortunately, the site is sort of rectangular shaped, with rides mostly running through it going east-west or north-south, which is helpful. Since it was such a hot, sunny day, there were lots and lots of insects around. Here are a few photos of the ones that didn't elude me.

I found a clump of decomposing, big daisy things (botany is not my strong point). I don't know if they were wild or not, but Speckled Wood butterflies were going mad for them.





This fly-looking thing was interesting...


As usual, I don't know what this moth is, either...


Darters were everywhere, but I had a long wait until I found some that sat still for long enough for me to get a photo. I suppose I need to improve my fieldcraft, or find something not as skittish...



Ruddy Darter


Common Darter

On my meandering way back to the car, I walked past a big bank of thistles, which was absolutely heaving with butterflies and other insects. Here are the highlights:






I didn't recognise Wall at the time, but of course the wonders of digital photography meant that I could show them to Brian later on for instant IDing.


Meadow Brown


Gatekeeper


Tatty, but nice: Red Admiral


Brimstone

I'm a big fan of reeds. When you look close they're really quite beautiful, full of interesting colours and patterns.






What's in my CD player: Ladies Love Oracle - Grant Lee Phillips