Sunday, August 28, 2005

River Nene






The reflections of vegetation at the edge of the river caught my eye. I was watching some Common Darters perching on some debris which looked like a cross between some white plastic sheeting and a lump of loft insulation, when it suddenly dawned on me that it was a sheep at an advanced stage of decomposition...

Moving on...


Banded Demoiselles have got to be the most gorgeous insects going.






Female munching on a small insect

All these photos digiscoped along the River Nene just west of Ferry Meadows. For reference, the pronunciation of the river name is as follows:

If you're downstream of Oundle, it's Neene
If you're upstream of Oundle, it's Nenn

Incidentally, when I visited Slimbridge as a youngster, I wondered what the connection with Hawaii's state bird, Branta sandvicensis, the Nene Goose, was...

I have to be a bit careful when I go home to Northants, because I live in Peterborough now I tend to say Neene, which probably reveals me to be a traitor. I grew up in the Nene valley; I still haven't escaped it and I can trace ancestors who lived in the valley (at Little Addington) back to at least 1680...

photos taken with Nikon Coolpix 995 + Leica Apo Televid 62 with 16x eyepiece

1 comment:

  1. I love your photos. (I think I even saw one on a Singaporean teenager's site.) I am in awe of your camera.

    I am just a backyard birdwatcher, but I love getting up in the early morning and seeing a bluejay, or being able to hear a cardinal before I see it.

    P.S. You can get rid of spam by clicking on the garbage can symbol you see in the comment. It really is awful stuff, some of it.

    ReplyDelete