Friday, April 19, 2013

Surely not a Wood Warbler...?

Wood Warbler

I had a bit of a surprise when I stepped outside this morning. Half-asleep, I heard a trill that sounded suspiciously like a Wood Warbler. 

Telling myself it was probably something else that I'd mis-heard, I decided I'd better go and check. It sang again - definitely a Wood Warbler! This wouldn't be particularly noteworthy if I was in mid-Wales, for example, but in Bedfordshire it came as a bit of a shock...

After a bit of searching, I finally clapped eyes on the warbler and later in the day managed a few photos. Wood Warblers don't tend to stop on migration - they prefer to just carry on - but it seemed that it was among quite large numbers of warblers which had stopped off that day.

Wood Warbler

Wood Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment