Friday, December 26, 2008

Welney

Pochards
Pochards. I'm really rusty at digiscoping, and this image is rather noisy, but I like it. Proper wild Swans were in short supply at the swan feed; a flock of drake Pochards hoovered up the grain thrown their way

Flooded meadows at Welney WWT
The washes seemed well-flooded

Whooper Swan family
Whooper Swan family. They flew all the way from Iceland together, which I like. Apparently Whoopers had a good breeding season; family parties including 7 cygnets have been seen!

Mute Swans
Mute Swans

photos taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x II
digiscoped photos taken with Canon Powershot A640 + Leica Apo Televid 77 with 20x eyepiece

4 comments:

  1. Great flight shot of the whooper swans. Very enjoyable blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pochards, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that shot of the swans all in a line.
    Also I have never heard of pochards before, but they are a very interesting looking bird and I like their color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:05 pm

    I like the pochard shot too. One looking to the left, one to the right and one straight ahead, not bothering to look behind them and into the past. Your Nature Photos are beautiful. Keep on celebrating the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete