Friday, August 15, 2008

Hedgerow

Bumblebee takeoff
Bumblebee at take-off, with a shower of pollen grains

Brown Hawker close-up

Brown Hawker
Brown Hawker

Common Darter on Bracken
Common Darter

Blackberries
blackberries

Acorns
acorns

At lunchtime I went for a walk down to Stratford Road, which runs along the foot of the hill. It's south-facing so tends to be a good place for insects with a good bank of bramble bushes. I couldn't resist helping myself to a few ripe blackberries, and while I did, a squirrel dropped bits of discarded acorn husk on my head.

The blackberries (and blossom) attract butterflies, with dragonflies presumably enticed by the smaller insects on the plants. I had to wade through some nettles to get close to the beautiful Brown Hawker above. The bumblebee was in the garden on my way to the lane.

More photos available on Flickr

photos taken with Canon EOS 30D + EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

No comments:

Post a Comment