Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Lodge

I went to The Lodge this morning to do some recceing for the Beds bird race team. I failed on that front, but had some photographic successes.

Birds. Yes, I photographed some birds!

Here's one that fledged earlier: baby Blackbird

Another delivery of still-wriggling caterpillars on its way to a Robin nest near you

A tiny Grass Snake swimming in one of the ponds. Whether it was after insects or newts (both plentiful, I'm not sure)

Odonata. Yes, it's dragon- and damselfly time again.

Female (I think) Hairy Dragonfly

Zoomed-in, you can see the hairs

Large Red Damselflies: mating

and teneral (just-emerged)

Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths)

Speckled Wood

Small Copper

Holly Blue (nectaring on holly, appropriately enough)

Green-veined White

Adela reamurella - weird, long-antennaed moths

And now for some leaves..


Rowan (I think)

Oak



Maple


Lime

Horse-chestnut

Bracken

Beech

Miscellaneous bugs:



Bee-fly on bluebell

photos taken with Canon EOS 30D, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

1 comment:

  1. Lovely photos as usual Katie, I've never seen a grass snake. Maybe I'll see one on my "RSPB Experience" induction in a couple of months.

    Just had some bad news about local Hen harriers. See my post here http://brightaire.blogspot.com/2007/04/vermin.html. I'd be pleased if you could "bump" this issue with your readers (you get more than I do!). The more people that know what these landowners are up to the better.

    ReplyDelete